Guangdong-Hong Kong International Textile Bioengineering Research Center
Guangdong-Hong Kong International Textile Bioengineering Research Center (TBRC) has been established with the funding support of Guangdong Provisional Department of Science and Technology, Hong Kong Innovation Technology Commission and Hong Kong Polytechnic University. TBRC is an interdisciplinary research center consisting of biotechnology, medicine, pharmacology, material science, chemical engineering, electronics, machinery, mechanics, physics, computational mathematics, computing informatics, textile engineering and design.
TBRC has secured and managed more than 30 key research projects in Hong Kong and Guangdong Province, in direct charge of over HK$95 million research funding. In the past five years, total research funding of TBRC has reached 81 million. More than 273 academic papers have been published in peer reviewed academic journals, including 188 SCI papers and more than 50 EI papers. 229 academic papers have been published in peer reviewed academic conferences, in which more than 82 papers have been indexed in ISTP/CPCI/ISI. 7 research monographs in Chinese, 6 academic monographs in English and 3 symposiums proceedings were published and indexed by ISTP/CPCI/ISI. More than 40 research awards have been obtained for academic papers, technology inventions, design innovations and academic achievements. 65 patents were filed, in which 28 patents have been granted in China, USA and Australia and 16 technology and design inventions have been transferred to industry. To promote multidisciplinary research and industry-university collaboration, a “Biomedical Textile Materials and Devices Innovation Union” has been established in November 2010, which consists of academic institutions, research organizations and industrial enterprises.
TBRC is composed of 6 research laboratories:
- Textile Biomaterial Research Laboratory
- Researches in nano materials, biomaterials, nano structured drug delivery systems, nano fibers and functional fabrics;
- Textile Biomaterial Testing Research Lab
- Researches in developing testing methods, instrument and standards to characterize the functionality of biomaterials, fibers, yarns, fabrics, apparel products and medical textile devices;
- Digital Apparel Laboratory
- Research on developing computer-aided technology and informatics for engineering design of functional apparel products and medical textile devices;
- Functional Design Studio
- Design and the development of high value-added functional textile and apparel products, biomedical devices by applying novel functional materials, fibers and fabrics, the functional CAD technology and databases;
- TC Ecological and Carbon Footprint Research Laboratory
- Researches on ecological and carbon footprint of textile industry, including textile materials, fiber manufacturing process, textile manufacturing process, apparel production process and product design and consumption processes;
- TC Industry Sustainability Research Laboratory
- Research on the sustainability of textile and clothing industry clusters and developing technology roadmap for achieving sustainable development for countries, regions, specialized textile and clothing towns, as well as specialized industrial sectors.
TBRC is encouraged to establish deep international collaborations with academic institutions, research organizations and industrial enterprise in the world.